Guided by Technical.ly’s earlier reporting and nominations from native tech group members, our newsroom recognized 25 people throughout 5 classes within the operating for this 12 months’s awards program. However the closing resolution is yours — sure, yours.
Solid your vote by Thursday, Nov. 30, and the winners shall be revealed on Wednesday, Dec. 6. Take a look at this 12 months’s nominees and provides your help to your favorites. Cool?
Invention of the 12 months
What product, undertaking or launch this 12 months is finest poised to alter its trade?
- The Mint — Richualist CEO Daybreak Myers relocated to Baltimore with a mission to attach with Black ladies entrepreneurs. Her device, The Mint, is tailor-made for the textured hair care market. Daybreak efficiently accomplished Baltimore’s Techstars Equitech Accelerator in 2023, with one in all her nominators noting: “The Mint is a game-changer for curly hair.”
- OnPoint Air flow — As a 2023 undergraduate finalist for the nationwide Collegiate Inventors Competitors, the Johns Hopkins College student-led Bronchosleeve staff is poised to alter Baltimore’s well being tech trade, or no less than one-lung air flow procedures.
- ARMR Programs — This wearable hemorrhage management system is designed to reinforce the survival prospects of fight veterans and comparable audiences in conditions the place quick entry to superior medical help could also be restricted.
- Baltimore Tree Belief — The Tree Belief staff collaborated to create “A Stroll By Patterson Park,” a digital story map that includes 11 key factors utilizing ArcGIS. The map, initially designed for a tree stroll in collaboration with Patterson Park Audubon, serves as an interactive information to the park’s topographical factors, offering data on tree species, park buildings and historic particulars. The undertaking aimed to make inexperienced areas accessible and educate the general public in regards to the atmosphere.
- Hacking People — This CyberWire community pod hosted by Joe Carrigan and Dave Bittner delves into the human facet of cybersecurity, making technical subjects accessible to most people. The podcast emphasizes that anybody is usually a goal and discusses findings from a survey on cybersecurity understanding, revealing the necessity for improved schooling. Carrigan offers sensible ideas for digital safety, making the podcast a priceless useful resource for a broad viewers.
Tech Group Chief of the 12 months
Who has most made this group higher via coalition constructing, nonprofit work, access-minded initiatives, policymaking or different pathways?
- Kendra Rice Parlock, VP of partnership improvement, NPower — Parlock was appointed as the manager director of nationwide tech coaching org NPower Maryland in 2019, and in her former govt director position, she oversaw applications in each East and West Baltimore the place her intention has been to leverage her STEM information to supply steering to NPower college students.
- Rebecca Rosenberg, CEO, ReBokeh — Rosenberg’s mission-driven firm devoted to helping these with average imaginative and prescient impairment is just not solely shaping the way forward for expertise but additionally empowering disabled Baltimore founders to chart a singular path. In carving this distinct journey, she is actively shaping the technological panorama and influencing how folks understand and have interaction with the world.
- Kory Bailey, CEO, UpSurge Baltimore — The newly appointed head of this “equitech” org makes the noms record for what his nominator mentioned is Bailey’s potential to carry the group along with grace, particularly amidst the loss of life of EcoMap Applied sciences CEO Pava LePere. His management title is perhaps, however the potential to assemble is just not new for this 2022 RealLIST Connector.
- Enoch Pratt Free Library — Clearly not a human, and that’s OK as a result of possibly establishments deserve love on this class, too. In keeping with its nominator, the “user-friendly” Pratt Library system has a dedication to enhancing digital entry, evidenced particularly in its staff’s out of doors Wi-Fi efforts, partnerships with metropolis gov and Chromebook distribution.
- Brittany Younger, founder and CEO, B-360 — What extra must be mentioned? This Black lady is aiming at bringing the nation’s first dust bike campus to Baltimore and secured $3 million in federal funds to do exactly that.
CTO of the 12 months
Who’s main groundbreaking technical work inside their firm or group? (Comparable titles past CTO have been accepted.)
- Thomas Jones — With a background in operations that progressed via to cloud applied sciences and cellular computing, Jones’ priorities in his position as CTO for Baltimore Metropolis Public Faculties are usually not in contrast to those he named when he grew to become interim Metropolis of Philadelphia CTO over a decade in the past. Jones’ tenure as a career-long CTO has lengthy featured a give attention to enhancing the connectivity of the people related to the group he may serve whereas reimagining how our cities or colleges may hook up with its inhabitants, making him a shining instance of a tech-driven chief.
- Matthew Lim — As a full-stack developer and cofounder-slash-CTO of TechSlice, a software program improvement product company established in 2017, Lim is deeply captivated with leveraging software program options to save lots of and enhance lives. Main a staff of senior technical specialists, he’s devoted to remodeling revolutionary ideas into business actuality. Lim can be a distinguished advocate for UpSurge Baltimore’s “equitech” idea in Baltimore, championing variety of thought and equality inside the tech trade.
- Ramon Richards — Assuming his position at T. Rowe Worth within the early fall of 2023, Richards oversees expertise enterprise options, tech providers and structure features. He additionally beforehand served as a chief data officer at Fannie Mae the place his foci was software program engineering, cybersecurity, enterprise knowledge and manufacturing help.
- Tim Kulp — With three many years of expertise, Kulp serves because the chief innovation officer at Thoughts Over Machines, the place he goals to empower people with creativity and expertise. Beneath Kulp’s management, Thoughts Over Machines makes a speciality of architecting large-scale IT techniques, rescuing failing initiatives, stabilizing companies, and remodeling knowledge into income.
- Michele Thomas — Moving into her position as chief digital expertise officer this 12 months inside Gov. Wes Moore’s govt department, her focus has been on implementing core enterprise providers with an intention at enhancing service supply. Thomas’ position was one in all 4 newly established roles for Maryland’s govtech panorama.
Tech Firm of the 12 months
What promising startup or growth-stage firm is tackling an fascinating drawback, shaping its trade or inspiring a brighter collective future?
- Aptabridge Therapeutics — This Baltimore-based biotech firm goals to create next-generation immunotherapies to deal with areas of unmet medical want. Its staff represented Baltimore at one one of many worlds largest biotech conventions and was a Johns Hopkins College President Enterprise Fellowship recipient this 12 months.
- Mindgrub — From 8-bit video video games to advertise tourism to educating AI to generate musical compositions for Baltimore’s native symphony, digital company Mindgrub is leveraging its understanding of expertise to create digital options for its shoppers.
- NasaClip — Based and led by CEO Elizabeth Clayborne, NasaClip is what it feels like: an adjustable nosebleed rescue system. The Baltimore-based healthtech firm goals to make navigating the world of nosebleeds much less difficult.
- The BlkRobot Venture — Beneath the steering of 2023 RealList Engineers honoree Jason Harris, this undertaking offers coding and robotics programs for elementary-aged youth. It additionally educates center schoolers on synthetic intelligence and hosts a mini-space camp centered round a rocket launch. Past imparting tech expertise, this system cultivates curiosity and innovation, laying the groundwork for a brighter future amongst contributors.
- Onyx Expertise — Launched in 2020, Onyx is devoted to leveraging Quick Healthcare Interoperable Sources requirements to supply well being plans a complete vary of services and products geared toward facilitating healthcare knowledge interoperability.
Tradition Builder of the 12 months
What empathetic chief or organizer is making their office or skilled group extra inclusive, resilient or partaking? (“Chief” doesn’t have to imply they maintain a management title.)
- Ginny Peters-Rodbell — This Fearless product designer is a participant in implementing human-centered design practices on the Facilities for Medicare and Medicaid Companies’ Workplace of Data Expertise. Identified by her nominator for her adaptability and collaborative spirit, she creates a “welcoming ambiance” for her staff. She additionally acquired reward for constructing private connections, being authentically herself and actively searching for enter from others.
- Hafeezah Muhammad — Backpack Healthcare (previously known as Youme Healthcare) is led by CEO Muhammad, a Muslim lady advocating for peace within the Jap Mediterranean. The telehealth platform affords psychological well being providers, remedy administration, and remedy to kids and households. Muhammad, a chief founding member, aspires to ring the Wall Road bell in her hijab. Backpack is acknowledged for accessible remedy via a latest rebranding and two acquisitions.
- Sherrod Davis — The CEO at EcoMap Applied sciences brings a perspective to his position underpinned by his diploma in philosophy. Previously the COO for the Baltimore-based entrepreneurial useful resource platform startup, Davis now leads the staff in honoring the legacy of cofounder Pava LaPere, who tragically handed away earlier this 12 months. He continues to display the staff’s dedication to preserving LaPere’s imaginative and prescient.
- Tasha Cornish — This govt director of the Cybersecurity Affiliation of Maryland (CAMI) introduced almost a decade of nonprofit management expertise to her position the place she serves over 600 members by main CAMI’s academic applications, group useful resource improvement, and cyber profession networking initiatives. Notably, she works to spotlight cybersecurity professionals via CAMI’s Cybersecurity Awards.
- Lyndsae’ Peele — A former banker and co-creator of the metaverse ecosystem Zubachee, envisions Web3 as a transformative pressure for possession and enterprise development. In response to the challenges revealed by the COVID-19 pandemic, Peele acknowledged a necessity for entry to capital for Black ladies entrepreneurs. She is constructing a Web3 market that provides tailor-made instruments and help, aiming to empower and uplift Black ladies in enterprise throughout this new period of technological evolution.
Data is energy!
Subscribe at no cost as we speak and keep updated with information and ideas it is advisable develop your profession and join with our vibrant tech group.